Saturday, March 2, 2013

Review: San San Matte Finish Liquid Foundation

Finding the right kind of foundation is quite tricky as there are a lot of factors to consider - shade, coverage and staying power, to name a few. A foundation can be either your best friend or your worst enemy that is why it is important to make the necessary considerations in picking the right kind of foundation.



A foundation for medium skin tone with yellow undertones, light to medium coverage, matte finish, and lightweight makes up my check list in finding the right kind of foundation. San-San Matte Finish Liquid Foundation made a perfect score! Its affordability is just a bonus point. 


Packaging and price: I like how it's simply packaged in a matte frosted glass bottle which resembles Estee Lauder's Double Wear Foundation. It is very affordable for 140php a bottle. You might even get it for a lower price because HBC is almost always on a sale.
Shade 01 and Shade 03
It comes with a spatula applicator which is intended for scooping up the product. Applying the spatula directly to your face is not advisable as it might contaminate your foundation. I prefer liquid foundations  with spatula applicators over pump bottles because I can always control the amount to be dispensed. What I do is scoop enough amount and apply it at the back of my hands and get the foundation from there using my fingers or a foundation brush.

Shade 01
Shade, consistency, coverage: It is available in four different shades. I only have two - 01 and 03. Shade 01 is the lightest shade that has yellow undertones. Even if it appears way too light for my skin tone, it is very blendable and does not leave any white cast unlike most liquid foundations that I have tried. The picture is enough evidence! Formula is a bit runny making it easy to blend and spread well. 


Shade 03
Shade 03 suits medium to dark skin tones with yellow under tones. It is a perfect match for me! Like shade 01, it blends well and does not leave any white, ghastly cast on the face. It provides light to medium coverage. It minimizes the appearance of my pimples but does not conceal it completely. A semi-matte finish would be appropriate as opposed to a completely matte finish. 


Even if Shade 03 is a perfect match for my skin tone, I still mix it with shade 01 to for my face to appear a bit brighter. What I really appreciate about the product is it's well suited for Filipina skintone. No more fears of looking like an espasol, Casper or Foundation Day. Ha! The product photographs well, too! I always use this for models during Chicadora shoots. 

I used Shade 01 for the fair skinned Monique (left) and mixed Shade 01 and 03 for Julianne (right) with medium skin tone.
Staying power and formulation: It stays up to 4-5 hours depending on the weather. Setting it with a powder can extend longetivity. As I've said earlier, it has a runny texture which is not a bad thing for me because I find it easier to spread. Also, it has a vanilla/coconut scent which I like but might be an issue to some. It does not contain any SPF that is why it is recommended to put a moisturizer with SPF underneath when used during daytime. 


Lalaloove the semi-matte finish!
What I like:

  • Affordable
  • Formulation
  • Semi-matte finish
  • Shades available are suited for morena skin
  • Vanilla/coconut scent
  • No white cast
  • Super blendable
  • Lightweight feel
  • Photographs well
What I don't like:
  • Not for long wear
  • No oil-control capabilities
Rating:
9/10
Because of its affordability and the fact that it blends with my skin tone well, I love it! I think it is perfect for photo shoots because it really photographs well. I gave it a high rating because of my own set of ideals in choosing the right kind of foundation - a foundation for medium skin tone with yellow undertones, light to medium coverage, matte finish, and lightweight. It eliminated my fear of looking like the friendly ghost.

What's your favorite foundation brand? I would love to hear from you!

17 comments:

  1. i tried this product and I didn't really like it.. I will give it another shot :D thanks for sharing!

    http://steph-g.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it because of the scent? You're welcome!

      Delete
  2. I'm gonna try this soon! Thanks for the review!

    hugs,
    CJ - FMWL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know your thoughts once you've tried this. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. I'm going to try this! I think shade#2 is the one for me because I'm not that "mestiza" :)) Missed your blog post!! <3

    Btw, I'm having a giveaway right now. I hope you can participate. :)
    Here's the link: http://clarisselitiatco.blogspot.com/2013/02/dive-in-pastels-x-1721-giveaway.html

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll like it too! Shade #3 is just right for me and my skin tone is medium-dark. Hehe :D

      Will check that out. Thanks Clai! :)

      Delete
  4. Tried this one and it was great on the skin. It has a strong coconut/ vanilla scent though which is why I don't use it often. But I did like the finish of this foundation :)

    http://thebeautygeekph.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people do not like the scent nga.. but I actually find the scent great <3 Thanks for dropping by my blog!

      Delete
  5. great review! thanks for sharing ^_~

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've tried this product before and used it to do a "CATS" inspired makeup so I opted to get the lightest shade. I loved it as well but haven't tried using it yet for an everyday look. I'm quite hooked with their BB Cream. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! the only thing that I don't like about the product is the staying power. It doesn't stay log on me..Thanks for sharing Gellie :)

      Delete
  7. thought 'twas a nail polish! LOL.


    xoxo,
    http://theweirdperfectionist.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bottle does look like a nail polish bottle. Hehe.

      Delete
  8. Yey, I missed your reviews! Anyway, I like this as well! I only use 2 most of the time. When I'm not in a hurry, I mix 2 and 3. I agree, it really doesn't make me look whiter even in photos taken with flash. And you're right, HBC is almost always on sale! Haha :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is helpful. I just got mine and I'm excited to use it! Thanks :)

    -roro
    http://maybeitsaboutroro.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice review!

    -desassytraveler.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...